Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pine Tree by Kevin Dunston

The following was written by Kevin Dunston. It's a beautiful and elegant way of personalizing one of our most troubling issues. I was nearly overcome with emotion when I read it. Thank you Kevin.
I came outside and sat on the patio yesterday after work. As soon as I sat down, I felt exposed and like something was missing all at the same time. After a few minutes pondering, I noticed a fine film of sawdust on the glass patio tabletop. I realized that the majestic pine tree that stood at end of the little hill in front of me had been chopped down. Humming birds used to dance around her in the early morning and at dusk. Geckos used to run up and down her trunk. It’s like I lost a new and elderly friend. Not sure why it had to be cut… I’m positive it was here before these condos were. Maybe root and pavement conflict? Or the possibility that it may crash into homes? It’s hard for me to fathom or think like a land baron.

Kevin Dunston

No comments:

Post a Comment